Wednesday, October 22, 2008

IFR & Airplanes

I'm getting my first hands on experience with a standard Annual this year. My buddy, an A & P, wanted me to learn what doing an annual is all about. Very interesting, but more simply than what I originally thought. A little tedious with removing and replacing all the screws around the cowling and wheel pants, but good training overall. I learned a lot.
Compression check, Replacing a tire, re-greasing bearings, flushing the system, fuel strainer checks, and a bunch of cleaning.

It's good training and I feel that if I'm in a remote airport and I experience a blown tire I can fix it myself.

If any pilot has an opportunity to learn a little about aircraft maintenance I say "go for it." But remember, only certified A & P mechanics can do an annual.

No comments: