Sunday, October 14, 2007

I made it! into BIG D

Made my first flight into Dallas and was granted permission to enter class B airspace. Went from Tulsa to Dallas to see the Sooners kick the tar out of Texas. Landed at Dallas Executive (redbird). Small airport, not much traffic and in the heart of Dallas.

Took off from O38 and climbed to 8,500, flipped on the autopilot and relaxed. Nice weather, few clouds, good airpseed (130 mph). Tried my new Garmin 396 w/ XM out and realized what I've been missing.

If you fly cross country regularly, I recommend buying a Garmin 396, 496 or equal just for the up-to-the-minute weather information. We had weather information with us and satellite radio. It was the first time I flew cross country while listening to Fox News and music.

It took us about 1.8 hours to fly down there, but a heck of a lot faster than commercial. Commercial flying required me to get to the airport an hour to an hour and a half before departure and after landing at Luv, for example, you have another hour or so before you get your luggage and hail down a cab.

Flying yourself is the only way!

Next stop: Indianapolis to watch my Colts play

No comments: